This is a great and versatile lentil soup rice bowl recipe you will love.
Lentil Soup Rice Bowl
In the beginning, it was my awesome lentil soup recipe, and then it turned into my awesome lentil soup rice bowl. It was also the only way I could get my husband to eat lentils ha-ha. On occasion, I would serve the lentil soup with a side of rice or bread. I believe it was my husband who added the rice to his soup and has it that way every time now. This recipe is versatile which is what I take into consideration at every dinner.
Choices Within Choices
I like to call many of our dinners “buffet dinners” with choices. Lentils alone are full of amazing nutrients for the body and steamed rice is a whole food. If you have children, I’m sure you’ve heard of choices within choices. If everything on the table provides nutrition (nutrient-dense foods) for the body, then it makes it easier to encourage and teach, making choices that you and your family can feel good about. Like having lentil soup or a lentil soup rice bowl. The choices on the menu can be “lentil soup” or lentil soup rice bowl”. Especially if you have a picky eater who will only eat rice and you want to encourage more foods.
Power of the Dinner Table
The dinner table is a place of communication and bonding for us. It’s where we have family meetings and have the best laughs. It’s a place to teach children a sense of community and family. The dinner table can be a very powerful place, and a place full of teachable moments. Even if just done once a week which is what I lived for growing up with a single mom who remarried after many years, and after my father passed away.
It was my safe space and the stability I craved. I share this piece of me to share with you just how powerful the dinner table can be. Please remember that home is where the heart is, and the “table” can be on the floor, a couch, around a campfire, and anywhere you can form a circle where you can look people in the eye and make lasting connections. Our “once a week” dinner table bonding was every Friday after my step-dad got off of work and brought home pizza.
Lentil Soup Rice Bowl
- 16 Ounce (1 lb) Bag of Lentils
- 3/4 Brown Onion Favorite or Available Onion Will Work
- 1 tsp Minced Garlic
- 12 cups Water
- 3 tbsp Chicken Bouillon OPTIONAL – Can be substituted with garlic salt, or himalayan pink salt. Add more or less bouillon to taste.
- Cut top and bottom of onion and remove first layer of onion.
- Place onion in the pot.
- Pour lentils out of the bag into the pot.
- Add 1 tsp of minced garlic.
- Fill pot with 12 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Let simmer for approximately 30 minutes.
- You will know that the lentils are done when they split open. Refer to photo.
- About 5 minutes before you turn off the heat, and decide you will be using the chicken bouillon, now would be the time to add and let cook for five minutes.
- Serve over rice or without rice to have it as just as a delicious lentil soup.
Other posts you may like:
Sending you love, light, peace, and prayer…